MyKey is quite an effective feature that Ford has incorporated into its vehicles. Not only does it restrict some driving modes but promotes better driving habits too. And you can program the key with one that’s unprogrammed.
Let’s guess you already have MyKeys set and wish to clear the settings. What would you do? Well, it’s easy even when you have only one key, i.e. the Admin Key.
So, How to reset Ford MyKey with only one key?
- To reset MyKey, use the Admin Key
- Access the main menu by pressing the controls on the console center
- And click on the settings
- Then MyKey
- Then Clear MyKey.
But what if you lost your Admin Key? You can still do it. Just try to follow the methods I gathered here.
4 Different Ways To Reset Ford MyKey With Only One Key
A very effective way to reset MyKey with only one key is to use a scanner program like FORScan and an OBD2 tool. However, depending on whether you have the key or not, you can try the following methods.
Method #1- How To Reset MyKey With Admin Key?
The Admin key refers to the Ford vehicle’s Master Key. In case there isn’t such a key, you will need to create one. To do this, go to Settings > MyKey > Create MyKey > Hold OK button until a message appears and tells you to label as MyKey. Now, reset MyKey with it.
- Turn on your vehicle with an Admin Key.
- Insert the key in the MyKey backup slot in the center console (the location may vary based on the vehicle).
- Press the left arrow button on the steering wheel controls and go to Main Menu.
- Execute “Clear MyKeys” options.
To Clear Mykey, Follow The Below Steps Below.
- Open Settings; press OK.
- Then select MyKey; press OK.
- Click on Clear MyKey.
- Press OK and keep holding the button until you see a message showing ‘All MyKeys Cleared’.
Method #2- How To Reset Ford MyKey With FORScan?
A program like FORScan or FoCCCus should be installed for this. It’s a useful step to reset Ford MyKey without Admin Key or have only One Key.
- Turn on your vehicle.
- Connect the vehicle to your laptop using an OBD2 reader and FORScan.
- Start the PCM KOER (Key On Engine Running) tests. It’s an on-demand self-test.
- Wait until the test is 100% completed.
- In case of a keyless system, remove the key fob or programmed MyKey from the vehicle. If it uses a standard blade key and no push start, then you need to start the vehicle, hide the key physically, and block the transponder.
- Stop the engine.
- Turn on the ignition. Make sure to not run the engine.
- Open the main menu on the controls.
- Execute “Clear MyKey” options I explained above.
Method #3- How To Reset Ford Mykey By Blocking The Transponder?
An easy way to reset MyKey is to block access to the RFID Chip’s Signals. It mainly tricks the vehicle into thinking that there is no Key in it.
- Start the vehicle with MyKey. Don’t drive.
- As it’s started, you should see the restrictions on the screen.
- Now, block the transponder by wrapping the MyKey in an aluminum foil; hiding MyKey in a thick container; or asking someone to take the MyKey a few meters away.
- Now, open your driver seat door, then close it. You should see an alert message on the screen stating MyKey is not in the vehicle.
- Turn off the ignition. Then turn it On. The same message will be displayed.
- Now, you should see MyKey option on the screen which wasn’t previously accessible.
- Go to the menu and clear all the MyKeys.
Method #4- How To Reset Ford MyKey With Ford-approved Remote Start
You may find some vehicles compatible with remote starts that act like an admin key. In case it works with your vehicle, then it can be effective to disable MyKey hack.
- Press the Unlock button on the Ford compatible remote start.
- Start the engine by getting in your vehicle. Don’t drive and don’t put it into any gear.
- Press the Start button or access the controls.
- As the menu appears, execute Clear MyKey options.
If you don’t see such options, try these additional steps after starting the engine or the second point.
- Give your key to someone and tell them to take it a few meters away.
- Open the driver door, then close it while you’re inside.
- As the horn beeps, turn off your vehicle.
- Connect the OBDII reader to the computer.
- Clear the codes.
- Press brake to start the engine.
- Lastly, go to menu to clear the settings.
Will Disconnecting The Battery Help Reset MyKey?
Yes and No. Disconnecting the battery of your vehicle and then reconnecting it may help reset MyKey. However, it depends on the model of Ford.
You can give it a try to see whether it resets MyKey. To do it, follow these steps.
- Open the hood.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Leave for around 30 minutes to 2 hours. This will allow all the currents to drain completely.
- Reconnect the terminals.
Now, check if it has cleared MyKey restrictions. In case it didn’t, then you have to try other methods.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How Much Does It Cost To Reset Ford MyKey?
It may cost from $70 to $500 to reset Ford MyKey depending on model of your car, which features to be restored, and whether you go to a dealership or locksmith.
In case you visit a Ford service center, they may charge $300 to $500 in which the cost for a new programmed key can range from $50 to $250. Getting it done by a locksmith will be cheaper. But make sure they can “Program” a key, not “Clone” it.
2. Why Don’t I See Any Clear MyKey Option In Settings?
The reason why there’s no clear MyKey option in settings is that the key you’re using isn’t an Admin Key.
You have to use the right key to make the option appear on the screen otherwise it will be hidden. However, you can try different methods like using a FORScan and an OBD2 reader to clear the settings.
3. Which Ford Key Is The Admin Key?
The Ford key that isn’t unprogrammed refers to admin or administrator key.
You’ll get two keys where one can be programmed to create a MyKey and the other one will act as the Admin Key with factory settings. And the only way to undo or modify MyKey is to use the Admin Key.
4. How To Turn Off MyKey Volume Limit?
Use the settings of the Console center to turn off MyKey volume limit with an Admin Key. Follow the steps below.
- Turn on the ignition.
- Access the controls in the console center.
- Click on the Settings>Vehicle Settings>MyKey>Volume Limiter.
- Use the slider button and move it to the left. This should turn the restriction off.
Resetting MyKey can also help turn off the volume limit. You can do it with an admin key or with a Ford compatible scanner app and an OBD2 reader.
Your first job should be to keep Admin Key somewhere safe so you can use it to do the Ford MyKey reset job anytime. Even if you lose MyKey, you can turn a spare key into one by using that administrator key. Hence, it’s very essential.
However, if you lose the main one, then you can try resetting it with a scanner app and a code reader tool. You can also visit a dealership or a locksmith for the same if you don’t know how to do it properly. Since Ford dealership is pricier, I’d suggest a skilled locksmith.
Once you get them to reset and have a new Admin Key, store it separately. Not just that, make sure to label it. This will prevent you from overriding your MyKey and experiencing no start issues.
Nasruddin is a passionate car enthusiast with a love for troubleshooting and diagnosing all sorts of vehicle problems. With years of experience in OBD diagnostics, Nasruddin, has become an expert in identifying and solving complex automotive issues.